Sunday, August 9, 2015

Game Review #2: Game Dev Tycoon


So, instead of doing another huge, high tier game made by a company that has its own console, I'm gonna talk about an indie game by Greenheart Games I found on Steam, an application my parents won't let me use anymore because they don't understand the idea of PC exclusives and the idea that since they got me a Mac for some reason, I can't use physical copies. So, anyway, the game was Game Dev Tycoon. As a "recreational game developer," this game really spoke to me. And if you're wondering where you can find any of the games I've made, too bad. I've never finished one in my life. But Game Dev Tycoon lets you see all the ups and downs of being a game developer without actually having to do any work. You can choose how much you want to focus on completely arbitrary categories, handle the press, get hype, hire some people, and, of course, make the same Call of Duty game over and over again until you run out of money. It's a pretty fun game, and a pretty realistic one at that. If you start the game with the topic 'Fantasy' you're sort of set for the game because you can just keep making Fantasy/RPGs until the end of the game and no one will ever get tired of it. But then, you can also do Fantasy/Adventure games and you've got another source of income. And then you can just fill spaces in between with some other topic with Simulation and boom; instant win. Not to say the game is easy or boring. A lot of the time, you actually find yourself taking risks that you know for a fact are gonna end up badly, but are just fun to screw around with. One time I made a Werewolf Simulator that sold about 2 copies. The game even goes so far as to include Nigerian Prince scams. Although, I must say, I've seen those in a lot of simulation games recently. We get it: Nigerian princes are a big thing now, but that doesn't mean everything has to have them. You think you're making an original little gag. Well, you're not. So stop. Anyway, Game Dev Tycoon is probably one of my favorite time waster games. There's no need for an Internet connection so I've played it on a couple of long car rides, although that's not really relevant anymore since one of my cars has wi-fi *totally isn't bragging about anything*. I still would play it if I still had Steam installed on my computer *totally isn't complaining to an audience that doesn't care*. But with all the games features, it's totally worth the ten bucks it costs. Sessions are long and take up plenty of unused time, and it makes you want to come back to it every chance you get to see what's going to happen next. A few things I'd like out of the game though: Sequels to be made possible much earlier; a remake/remaster/port to a newer console system; the ability to play as one of the main hardware companies like "Ninvento"(the games version of Nintendo if you didn't realize) or "Vena"(Sega). That last one I'd like to do in particular to see if I could have done better and kept them in the console market. But in all seriousness now, I highly recommend this game if your parents haven't deleted your Steam. Now, I'm going to wait until I grow up so I can redownload Steam without my parents telling me I can't.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment