Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Game Review #10: Lethal League

If you've ever played Smash Bros. and started thinking "Hey, maybe we should find a way to make this more disorganized and visually hilarious," you should probably take a nice long look at your life and more appropriately gauge your sanity. Or you could play Lethal League from Team Reptile. It's like Smash Bros. but with a ball. Ok, you're confused. Lethal League is a competitive 2D fighting game focused on hitting the opponent with the one ball in the arena. Hitting the ball causes it to speed up and change to your color to avoid friendly fire. The match continues until every player except one has been hit by the ball. With the ball going faster every run it's hit, the game eventually breaks down into a game of dodging and yelling wildly when you narrowly save yourself from the ball while it's going 90 miles an hour and there is nothing that is more fun than that. There's no other influence in the game through items or stage differences. There are small scale special attacks that can be performed by hitting the ball after filling a gauge, but these are more of shake ups than anything else. So that's it. There's really nothing else to this game.it may seem a little light on features but why does it need to have any more features? The ones it has are incredibly entertaining and make for a great use of your time. The best way I can describe playing this game is a mixture of Smash Bros and Rocket League: Following the ball, waiting for the perfect moment until BAM right in your friend's face. 
Also, the characters are incredibly colorful. They aren't quite as deep or varied as something like Skullgirls, but they still have quite a bit of personality making each character feel incredibly different even though there's almost zero tactical difference between the characters. And as I've said before, a little bit of personality goes a long way. 
The one problem I see with the game is... Well nothing because there's so little to talk about. And that might seem like me saying "10/10 like Skyrim but with literally just balls and personality" but I really believe that when a game has so few features that you can't even find a part of it that is genuinely not good, there's not enough "game." That probably sounds dumb, but this concept is actually the whole reason I've never tried Rocket League. I know I'm going to have fun but I always have that nagging feeling that it's not going to be real "fun." But I still believe Lethal League is worth buying just as much as I think Rocket League is worth buying. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go through some of my Christmas backlog. When a Steam sale and a $50 gift card walk into a bar, the result is not pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment