Saturday, April 16, 2016

Game Review #NotGonnaJinxIt Looty Dungeon

After the absolute madness that was reviewing Pokkén Tournament, I think I've more or less drained myself of the ability to explain game features. Ya know, I think I could use a refresher: Something that I can explain in two sentences and then just yell about it for a couple minutes... Oh yeah, mobile phones...

Looty Dungeon is a tap-based, Rouge-like dungeon-crawler for iOS in which you take one of the multiple heroes, most of which you unlock with in-game currency, through a randomly generated dungeon avoiding damage-inflicting obstacles, killing monsters, and gathering sweet, sweet loot or rather sweet, sweet the same coin over and over again. You can then use these coins to buy new heroes to repeat the process. The number of coins you need isn't terribly high, but the hero you get is completely random so the most reliable way to get the hero you want *cough*pirate*coughcough* is to buy it with real money. This isn't that evil of a way to slip in micro-transactions, especially due to the game's fully single-player nature, so I'll let it slide. In fact, I don't have too much of a problem with micro-transactions normally, so I let a lot slide but this one in particular I wouldn't suggest directing your rage at. Oh, by the way, if you hadn't put the pieces together, the game is on the style of Crossy Road. Kinda forgot that.

So I think that's about it. Wow, it really is pretty basic. But that's ok, ya know? Looty Dungeons is an incredibly fun and lovable game that will have you yelling when you mistime a trap, grabbing every coin you can get your hands on, and eyeing the huge library of heroes, vowing to catch 'em a– or rather to collect each of them. The simplistic controls are easy to pick up but can take time to master once you find yourself trying to slip through particularly tricky traps. All the pieces fit well to create a great time waster game and an excellent obsession game. So, Looty Dungeon gets "Mankind's Self-Destructive Desire For Loot"/10. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go light more torches. Pro tip: that actually does something if you do it enough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment