Sunday, December 13, 2015

Off Topic with The LKIF: My Top Five Games of All Time

So since this site just achieved the milestone of 1000 page views (and yes I'm treating that as a milestone) I decided to do something a little different today. If it hasn't occurred to you quite yet, I like video games, and I have some pretty strong opinions about several of them. I have ones that I absolutely love and couldn't live without, and I have ones that wish would just stop existing. So I think it's time for you all to know exactly how I feel about my top and bottom five games of all time. Now these will range from games that I feel are the most important to me to ones that I feel are the best they could possibly be to games that I have literally returned for 10% of the original price. Of course, will be explaining my choices, but they definitely won't amount to the size of a full review. So without further ado, let's get on with the list.

5. Pokemon HeartGold/ SoulSilver
As I've said before, Pokemon has basically always been a part of my life and none more so than the Johto region's offerings. I grew up with the Johto anime and have a strong connection with the region, its lore, and nearly all of its Pokemon. So, when the remake of the original 2nd generation games came out, I was pretty hyped. I mean, I was ten, but I was as hyped as a ten-year-old could be. And I must say, it was with perfect reason. Pokemon hasn't changed much over the years and I’m glad of it. Although many are claiming that its formula is getting a bit stale but I haven't grown anywhere close to tired of it. If you know me personally, I'm a big fan of old JRPGs that haven't been tainted by modern game design yet, and that's mostly because of Pokemon. HeartGold was only my second Pokemon game as well, my first being Pearl, so I have plenty of personal attachment to this game in particular. And finally, THIS GAME IS THE BEST POKEMON GAME EVER. It just succeeds as a Pokemon game on so many levels. And that's why I feel right about giving it the starting position on my list.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles
How can I put this grand adventure into perspective. This game almost perfectly blends the narrative mastery and turn-based feel of Japanese RPGs with the exploration capabilities and action-y combat of Western RPGs. The game is filled to the brim with quests that if you looked at from far away you couldn't tell the difference between but they never feel tedious. There's miles upon miles of area to explore and every place you go to has something to do, and if not, at least it probably has a view. And the story is one of the best on the Wii. I can't say much about it, and even if this were a full review, I probably wouldn't say a lot about it because Xenoblade Chronicles is an experience that I'd recommend to anyone with a Wii (or a New 3DS [or a Wii U {or a connection to YouTube if you're that desperate}]). And if you're wondering about my thoughts on the spiritual successor, Xenoblade Chronicles X, you could probably check back after Christmas...

3. Splatoon
I can't say enough good about this game. I wanted this game so much that I asked for it for my birthday, then got impatient and bought it myself, and that extra two or three days playing was totally worth pissing off my parents. This game is essential to anyone with a Wii U. Spreading ink everywhere you go is so soothing to the average OCD gamer that when you try to go back to another shooter, you'll be depressed to find that shooting the ground won't do anything and then immediately go back to playing Splatoon because you can definitely get another game in before you have to go to bed or school or work or your wedding or your birth... My point is Splatoon is going to be my favorite shooter for a long time which is why it's been able to get a spot on this list without even being an RPG. And now back to your regularly expected genre.

2. Kingdom Hearts II
I love Square Enix. I like Disney. I didn't expect to even care about Kingdom Hearts. But a few years ago, my friends convinced me to play it and I was blown away. The game just felt right. The story was well-crafted, the gameplay was balanced and made me feel powerful, and the crossover elements were just crazy enough to be fantastic. And the sequel enhanced on every part of it. Every system was expanded upon or replaced with a better one. The story was enhanced, lengthened, and made to hit the feels harder. Though many will say that Nobodies made Kingdom Hearts into a narrative shitstorm where nothing is canon and everyone is Xehanort, I found the will to somewhat comprehend the story and I love it. And if Kingdom Hearts 3 ever comes out, it'll be on top of my To Play List. But this isn't my favorite game ever. Before we get to that game, let's take a look at some honorable mentions:

Super Smash Bros Melee
This was quite possibly the first game I ever played, and the fact that I still occasionally play it today speaks volumes.

Borderlands 2
The first-person shooter that made me stop hating first-person shooters. It's probably because of Claptrap.

Super Smash Bros Wii U
Such a great game to just kick back and have fun with. Great local multiplayer; great online multiplayer; great single player experience; and compatibility with the only controller that matters.

1. UnderTale
What can I even say? This game is, without a doubt, my favorite game of all time and doesn't look like it's about to be topped anytime soon. I love every inch of this game. The story is compelling and keeps you coming back for more every time you finish; the battle system is intensely innovative and should be in every game; and the world is fleshed out in a way that only modern RPGs have been able to do beforehand. I've tried hard, but I can't find one thing glaringly wrong with this game. Sure it could be better but only in the same way that Donald Trump could be louder, but does he really need to be for you to call him a basket case and yes I am bringing that expression back. So what's stopping me from calling this game a Masterpiece. You could say this is my game of the year, but I wouldn't say that. UnderTale means far more to me than just better than every other game this year. UnderTale is a game I'll be replaying, raving over, and fondly looking back on for the rest of my life. UnderTale is more than my game of the year; it's my Game of the Lifetime.

If you enjoyed seeing me gush over the games I unconditionally love, perhaps you'd like to see me rant about the games I loathe. So come back (hopefully, at my rate) next week to see my bottom five games of all time.
When that goes up, the link will be right here:
*makes placeholder because he hasn't even started writing this yet*
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go dream about the wondrous season of Christmas. Oh sorry, I meant Holiday season. Don't worry, I'm half on your side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment